Internal Bleaching in London
Internal bleaching is a procedure that whitens the teeth which have had root canal treatment or which became necrotic following trauma.
Internal tooth bleaching consists of the insertion of an oxidizing chemical substance into the tooth’s pulp. Before the actual bleaching agent is inserted, the area is cleaned and the canals are sealed.
The internal bleaching gel has the same effect as the external bleaching products, but it acts from the inside of the tooth. The procedure can be performed as a self-standing procedure or correlated with external whitening procedures.
Why do teeth discolour?
In most cases, the cause of discolouration in non-vital teeth is the presence of broken-down parts of the tooth’s nerve. The main tooth nerve is surrounded by thousands of small dentine canals. When a tooth nerve dies – resulting in a non-vital tooth – small blood particles from the former tooth nerve accumulate in these canals, which can lead to discolouration of the tooth from the inside which compromises your smile. Even following root canal therapy around 10 per cent of patients are unhappy with the appearance of their root-filled tooth.
What are the options to cover a dark tooth?
There are several options to treat discoloured teeth:
- Ceramic veneers
- Composite (tooth-coloured) white fillings
- Remove the tooth and replace it with a dental implant, denture or bridge
- Use internal whitening alone using hydrogen peroxide or in combination with in-office chair side teeth whitening or home whitening to brighten the teeth
When using implants, dentures or bridges the discoloured tooth will be removed permanently. Veneers, partial crowns or full crowns can be used to enhance your smile, and change the shape and texture of the teeth. However, all these options require removal of tooth tissue via a dental drill to prepare the tooth for the addition of a veneer, partial or full crown. An alternative can be to use dentist-led whitening procedures to improve your smile. In cases of root canal-treated teeth internal bleaching (or non-vital bleaching) can be used.
Teeth whitening or bleaching is one of the most common cosmetic dentistry treatments performed by a dentist or dental hygienist. Still, sometimes it might be difficult to get a good result with internal bleaching. Below you will find a detailed step-by-step description of how internal whitening is conducted successfully.
How much does internal tooth whitening cost?
The treatment usually involves 3 sessions with a total cost at £650.
Meet your award-winning Internal Bleaching dentist and team…
- We have over 75+ years of combined dentistry experience across our specialist team.
- 10,000+ treatments performed and counting.
- We are leaders in the dental industry – we regularly teach, lecture and publish our research work internationally.
Having healthy, white teeth is an important factor for smiling with confidence. Discoloured teeth can affect your smile greatly. Whether internal whitening, in-office or home whitening or a combination of them – the dentists and dental hygienists in our clinic in London have a combined experience of several thousand whitenings performed to get you a first-class result.
Along with in-office bleaching/tooth whitening, the internal tooth whitening procedure is one of the simplest ways to enhance your smile, it’s an easy and effective dental treatment with excellent results. But it must be done following the correct protocol. The whitening treatment is completely painless and the whitened teeth can provide very desirable results for patients and dentists alike.
Our commitment to quality, patient comfort, and advanced dental practices makes us the preferred choice for those seeking the best in oral health care.
Our clinic is conveniently located in the heart of Marylebone, Central London and is accessible by car, taxi, bus, Tube and on foot.
The combination of these expertly administered treatments left me not just with a visibly brighter and healthier smile, but also with a deeper understanding of how to care for my teeth. Thank you so much Wimpole Street Dental Clinic!
What is needed to start a successful internal whitening?
A sufficient root canal treatment without any sign of an inflammation
Good oral hygiene and healthy surrounding gums
A sufficient restoration in place or planned to be done in due course
Classifying the tooth with a good long-term prognosis
If the previous root canal treatment is not sufficient, the tooth must be treated again by an endodontist (a specialist for root canal treatments). If the gums are inflamed increasing personal dental care and a professional dental hygiene session can provide a solution. The diagnosis – if you are suitable – will be determined during an initial consultation with a special focus on the endodontic situation.
Take your first step with Wimpole Street Dental Clinic
Wimpole St Dental Clinic has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.
- Frank AC, Kanzow P, Rödig T, Wiegand A. Comparison of the Bleaching Efficacy of Different Agents Used for Internal Bleaching: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Endod. 2022 Feb;48(2):171-178. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2021.10.011. Epub 2021 Nov 9. PMID: 34762968.
- Heboyan A, Avetisyan A, Karobari MI, Marya A, Khurshid Z, Rokaya D, Zafar MS, Fernandes GVO. Tooth root resorption: A review. Sci Prog. 2022 Jul-Sep;105(3):368504221109217. doi: 10.1177/00368504221109217. PMID: 35759366.
- Arshad M, Vaziri N, Habibzadeh S. Effect of Internal, Office, and Home Bleaching on Shear Bond Strength of Enamel to Porcelain Laminate Veneers. Int J Prosthodont. 2023 May-June;36(3):323-330. doi: 10.11607/ijp.7773. PMID: 36484656.
- Fernandez-Riera Y, Gutmann JL. Historical Reflections on the Use of Internal Bleaching to Manage Discolored Teeth. J Hist Dent. 2022 Summer/Fall;70(2):119-127. PMID: 35767301.