Gum disease (Periodontitis)
Have you noticed severe swelling or bleeding every time you brush your teeth? Periodontitis, or gum disease, is more common than you think, but that doesn’t mean you should live with the pain and discomfort.
At Wimpole Street Dental Clinic, we can provide periodontitis treatment as soon as we diagnose the disease. We’ll then use a structured recall system to help you prioritise regular dental check-ups and oral health appointments to prevent gum disease in the future.
What is periodontitis?
Periodontitis or gum disease presents with symptoms including swelling and bleeding gums. It is a progressive gum health condition which, if left untreated, can lead to bone loss in the mouth, tooth loss and even allow bacteria to enter the bloodstream causing further health complications such as Diabetes, an increased risk for strokes and heart attacks and it can impact pregnancy.
The stages of periodontal disease
Who is suitable for the treatment of periodontitis?
If you are experiencing pain or discomfort regularly from swollen or bleeding gums while you floss or brush your teeth then please contact us to book an appointment with your dentist or dental hygienist for periodontal treatment. We can diagnose if you have periodontitis gum disease and create your care plan.
Periodontitis is treatable so give yourself and your dentist the best chance of success by booking an appointment as soon as you experience such symptoms regularly, especially in the early stages of the condition.
Be aware that if you are a smoker, symptoms that would expose a gum disease (e.g. gum problems, bad breath) could be masked. As smokers have a higher risk of developing a gum disease, please visit you dentist and hygienist regularly.
What happens during the treatment of periodontitis?
- At your appointment, we provide an immediate diagnosis after assessing your current oral health and discussing your current regular dental hygiene. We may ask if you’ve ever suffered from gum disease before to better understand your oral health history.
- Your periodontist (a dentist who has extensive experience and expertise in performing periodontal treatment) or hygienist will conduct a careful, meticulous treatment and professional cleaning to remove plaque and tartar from your gum pockets and gum line
- We will schedule a re-evaluation of your gums four to six weeks after today’s treatment appointment to ensure no further inflammation occurs
- If there are still some pockets left an open debridement will become necessary. The gums are slightly lifted to see the surface of the root which is then cleaned meticulously.
- Your long-term care plan will begin which comprises a commitment to attend regular check-up appointments with both your dentist and your dental hygienist to keep the gum inflammation you have experienced at bay
Why is Wimpole Street Dental Clinic best for the treatment of periodontitis in London?
We are proud to offer a full suite of options in the dentistry field of periodontics for you to consider depending on the severity of your condition as presented. From your periodontitis diagnosis and review to a dental hygiene treatment and cleanse to a dental surgery if required.
Our treatment approach for periodontitis includes an emphasis on long-term care with regular dental and dental hygienist appointments with us so we use a structured recall system to ensure that you never miss a check-up. The preservation of your oral health with beautiful teeth and healthy gums is the guiding principle of our work.
What is the cost of periodontitis treatment?
Cost expectations for periodontal disease treatment can be difficult to disclose until your consultation because the price varies from one patient to another. However, the following periodontal disease treatment costs should provide a sense of what to expect for your total fees. Please note that these numbers are ranges; your dental specialist will provide a definite price during your own consultation.
|Non-surgical deep scaling per jaw||from £600|
|Surgical deep scaling and root planing per jaw||from £900|
|Aesthetic periodontal surgery||from £1,200|
|Lateral repositioned flap to cover recessions||from £800|
|Vertical repositioned flap to cover recessions||from £1,200|
|Periodontal regeneration||from £1,200|
|Gingival graft (attached gingiva)||from £800|
Let us help you fight bacteria and regain confidence
When the sensitivity and swelling finally subsides, you can feel confident and comfortable about your own smile again.
You can invest in your smile today