Beautiful teeth and a self-confident smile signal joy and personal success. They exude good health too. Our dental hygienists are here to keep it that way. To maintain a meticulous quality of care we send our prevention team on regular continuing professional development courses.
What is dental hygiene?
Dental hygiene is simply the performance of professional teeth cleaning by a dental hygienist. Regular dental hygiene treatment is the most effective and safest method to maintain both healthy and beautiful teeth for life. It also prevents gum disease very effectively. Our dental specialists provide patients with a meticulous standard of quality care by offering you careful check-ups with individual advice on all aspects of oral hygiene and nutritional best practice.
Who is suitable for dental hygiene?
Our team would encourage all our dental patients to make an appointment with our dental hygienist to discuss their individual needs regarding a regular schedule of professional teeth cleaning.
Optimum dental hygiene is the best tool to equip yourself with when looking to achieve preventative care of your teeth and gums to safeguard your smile for years to come as well protect against oral issues such as excessive tooth decay, infection, gum disease and bad breath.
Why is Wimpole Street Dental Clinic best for dental hygiene in London?
Whenever you need to take care of your smile – in an emergency, during routine care or when booking cosmetic dentistry – you naturally seek a qualified, skilled and experienced dental professional whom you can trust to deliver the premium dental care you expect at every appointment.
We would like you to consider placing your trust in our central London clinic because:
- We are internationally renowned within the dental profession.
- We’re conveniently located on Wimpole Street in central London accessible by London underground, bus, taxi or car. Our location is ideal for patients who work centrally and want to schedule an appointment pre or post work or even during their lunch break.
- Specifically for dental hygiene, we send our prevention team, including our dental hygienists, on regular continued professional development courses to ensure their information, advice, knowledge and skills is up to date to deliver the highest quality care to our patients.
- We offer EMS air-flow technology during a dental hygiene appointment with us which is based on innovative technology comfortably removing plaque and discolourations from your teeth as an alternative to other teeth whitening methods. The high gloss polishing fluoridation which follows can provide you with the restoration of a radiant smile.
Our new EMS system
In our clinic in London we have invested in a brand new EMS prophylaxis master as one of the first clinics in the UK to do so. Traditional ways of dental hygiene can sometimes be too abrasive, especially when you need several dental hygiene appointments each year. This new system reverses the traditional path of dental hygiene described above.
Initially the biofilm (e.g. bacterium and other components) is disclosed with a dye solution. Then biofilm and young calculus are gently removed with a bicarbonate powder/water mix (AIRFLOW® and PERIOFLOW®) – above and below the gum line. If needed this is followed by debridement with piezoceramic instruments (PIEZON® PS No Pain) or hand instruments. This treatment can remove almost any staining and in some case brightens your teeth to an extend which makes whitening redundant.
|What does dental Hygiene cost?|
|Dental Hygiene WITH EMS AIRFLOW®||£165|
|Dental hygiene for children up to 12 years||£120|
|Dental hygiene under local anaesthetic||£225|
|Dental hygiene for all-on-4/fixed teeth in a day cases||£300 (single arch) / £450 (double arch)|
Even if you think the teeth are perfectly clean…
…if you disclose the bacteria with dye you see why a regular dental hygiene is needed.
The term “Guided Biofilm Therapy” means that the hygienist is guided by the disclosed biofilm during the entire appointment. The treatment provides a systematic, predictable, risk-oriented and user-friendly treatment which can be adapted to all age groups and each individual patient. The therapy is minimally invasive and reduces the need of hand scalers and ultra-sonic instrumentation. If you have crowns, implants or any other type of restoration this treatment allows us to safely clean your teeth without damaging the ceramic.
The main advantages of the EMS Guided Biofilm Therapy:
- SAFE AND EFFECTIVE
- SUPERIOR CLEANING
- COMFORTABLE AND TIME SAVING TREATMENT
- CAN BE USED ON ALL TYPES OF RESTORATIONS
- IMPLANT INFECTIONS CAN BE TREATED
What happens during a dental hygiene appointment?
Rest assured that this work is exclusively performed by experienced and professional hygienists who form an integral part of our prevention team here at Wimpole Street Dental Clinic.
The traditional step-by-step dental hygiene appointment for professional teeth cleaning is as follows:
- The area above your gums is subject to thorough cleaning using ultrasonic devices
- The plaque is then removed even from difficult to reach areas using special hand-held tools
- Polishing pastes are applied to remove any remaining discolourations from the teeth
- Polishing pastes are also used to help smooth the surface of the teeth to make them shine
- Your hygienist may recommend methods and ways you can improve your own hygiene, guidance on brushing and flossing, how to avoid gum disease and tartar and information about what can cause oral health issues (e.g. bacterium, plaque, tartar and gum disease)
Dental hygiene in Wimpole Street
Professional dental hygiene – why we do it is explained in this video
Dental hygiene – theory
Professional dental hygiene – Part I – necessary theoretical knowledge
Cleaning the natural teeth
Professional dental hygiene – Part II – cleaning the natural teeth
Cleaning crowns and bridges
Professional dental hygiene – Part III – cleaning crowns and bridges
Professional dental hygiene – Part IV – cleaning implants
Cleaning removable dentures
Professional dental hygiene – Part V – cleaning removable dentures
You can invest in your smile today